Sixth Form Uniform
THE SCHOOL UNIFORM
The wearing of full school uniform is compulsory for all school sessions and any journeys to and from the school site. This policy encourages students to identify with the school while promoting a positive, purposeful atmosphere during the working day.
The items listed below are designed with smartness, practicality and availability in mind and differences in requirements for each sex have been kept to a minimum.
Excessive make-up is inappropriate; students should not wear false eyelashes, nail polish or acrylic nails.
Jewellery should be discouraged; students are not allowed to wear bracelets, nose studs or any other piercing. Students are allowed one ring of sensible size, a watch and one stud earring in each ear.
Inappropriate block colouring, streaks or highlights, as well ‘under-cutting', ‘tramlines' or ‘carving' hair is not permitted. Please note that students' hair should also always be a natural colour. Tattoos or body art should not be visible.
We always recommend that parents and carers refer to our school rules regarding uniform before purchasing uniform clothing.
Please be aware when purchasing new school uniform that some High Street stockists sell uniform in their 'Back to School' ranges which do not adhere to the school's permitted criteria below.
- BLACK BLAZER - this should not be a fitted or cropped jacket but a formal blazer style.
- APPLETON SIXTH FORM TIE, available from the Sixth Form Office
- PLAIN WHITE SHIRT or BLOUSE (not an aertex T-shirt) that is buttoned up to the neck and tucked in at the waist
- PLAIN BLACK, FORMAL TROUSERS, which go over shoes. Not permitted: Jeans, cropped trousers, stretchy, jersey or lycra/skinny-fit trousers, jeggings or leggings, brushed cotton/chino style trousers. or
- FORMAL BLACK PLEATED SKIRT or STRAIGHT TAILORED SKIRT of reasonable length, material and style - please note that stretchy, jersey, Lycra or tube style skirts are not permitted.
- PLAIN BLACK ANKLE SOCKS or, for girls, WHITE ANKLE SOCKS/PLAIN BLACK OR NATURAL TIGHTS, no long knee length socks are permitted.
- FORMAL PRACTICAL BLACK LEATHER SHOES (or faux leather alternative) which must have a heel and black laces (where applicable). Must not have any sports brands/emblems/logos. Canvas shoes, flat sole style shoes, trainers, high heels or boots are not permitted.
- PLAIN BLACK "V" NECK SCHOOL JUMPER (optional)
- No designer names or sweatshirts or hooded tops; the only jumper allowed is a plain black V-neck jumper as detailed above. Sweatshirts or hooded tops should not be worn as an alternative to a coat.
- A PLAIN OUTSIDE COAT: this may not be denim or leather and must not have any emblems .
Students who are undertaking a practical BTEC should wear school uniform unless their subject has a practical element that day. Each practical BTEC has their own school embroidered practical kit and should not be substituted for fashion wear (please note that this only applies to the Extended Diploma BTEC Sport and Extended Certificate in Performing Arts courses only and no other BTEC subjects, where full school uniform should be worn).